Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Weekly Fav Restaurant

Mr.K and I love to go out for dinner... we go out way more than we should but we both work long hours and the idea of cooking every night is daunting.  When we first started dating we would have every meal out... (it made sense as we never wanted to have food at our own houses because who know where we would be that week).  Once we moved in together we started to get better and cook at home.  However, we still love a nice meal out once in a while (ok ok more than once in a while).  So starting this week I will post once a week about my favorite restaurant from the previous week. 

We recently visited Newport, RI for a short get-away and had dinner at Fluke Wine Bar and Kitchen.  This was our third time to eat at Fluke as we try to get to Newport once every year or two.  Fluke has a great setting.. it is upstairs in a small building and it over looks an area near the water.  They offered a small bread basket served with a garlic oil spread.  I am not a fan of garlic but the bread was quite nice.  We ordered the Chicken Empanada small plate which was accompanied by a tomatillo sauce.  The empanada crust was nice and flaky and the sauce was delicious.. it was really good on the bread!  We then ordered two large plates.. after a lot of contemplating I went with the Wild Mushroom Risotto and Mr.K went with a Hangar Steak with a Red Wine Mustard Sauce, Crispy Fingerling Potatoes, Romesco sauce.  I am always hesitant to order Risotto in restaurants as it tends to be not cooked properly (too hard, to mushy, to dry, to wet) but I had ordered risotto years ago at Fluke and it was great so I went with it.  I definitely made the right decision.. it was cooked wonderfully and had an excellent assortment of mushrooms.  Mr.K also really enjoyed the steak.  We always share our food at restaurants and both agreed that each others choices were very nice.  Mr.K drank beer and I chose a Ginger Lemon Spritzer drink (once I added sugar it was really nice).  I always want to look at the dessert menu even though I rarely order dessert.  They had cookies and biscottis so we asked for them to go.  This was the only course I was not satisfied with.. there were no cookies in my box. Just sunflower seed brittle (which was nice but not a cookie) and a few very dry flavorless biscottis.  Overall I would definitely recommend Fluke if you find yourself in Newport (just skip the dessert).

We did not have our camera with us at dinner so here is a pic taken from there restaurant website.

Main Dining Room
Main Dining Room at Fluke.. we had the table closest to the camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment