Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cake Cones

Several months ago I came across http://www.bakerella.com/ and I decided to try making my very own cake pops.  I made my first cake pops shortly after and while they were tasty they were not the most creative / beautiful things I have ever made so I took a few months off and made different treats trying to use up the cake melts I bought.  Fast forward to Easter weekend and I decided to make cake pops again using Funfetti cake and funfetti pink frosting.  After forgetting to packs the lollipop sticks I decided to just make cake balls until my mother mentioned the mini ice cream cones she had in her pantry. 
Joy: Kids Cones, 2.25 Oz
Instantly I knew that I wanted to make cake cones.  Bakerella has a version of cake cones in her book (which I do own) so it was not a completely unique idea but I was still excited to try out making them.  I quickly baked my funfetti cake and after almost cooling it all of the way (I could not wait to get to the next step) I crumbled it all up. 

I mixed in the pink frosting (white cake +  pink frosting = salmon color deliciousness) and rolled out 40 cake balls.  This took longer than expected as there were several breaks to explain what I was doing and giving out samples.  I decided to take a break for the night and enjoy dinner with my family (which happened to be my Weekly Fav Restaurant but that post will have to wait until tomorrow). 
The following morning I was awake early so I decided to take advantage of the 'quiet time' and work on my Easter treats.  One by one I attached the chilled cake balls to the mini cones and dipped them into white candy melts and sprinkled on the funfetti sprinkles.  I even cut up a pink jelly bean to make 'cherries' for a few of the cake cones.  The first few were not perfect but I slowly figured out a few tricks and suddenly I had 20 or so great looking cake cones.  My family was so impressed by mom said I should open a bakery!

Finally a cake cone with a bite taken out...

No comments:

Post a Comment