Saturday, April 16, 2011

Paris...

Earlier this year Mr.K and I visited his family in England and decided to visit Paris for a few days before flying back home.  I went to Paris in 2003 but Mr.K had never been (although he went to France multiple times as a child).  We took the Euro Star train from London to Paris and in a little over two hours after leaving London we arrived in Paris.  We checked into the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe Hotel and admired our room (dark brown wood furniture with hot pink accents and a very modern clean bathroom) & our view (nothing famous but oh so Paris).

We set out to explore the City of Lights ... our first stop was the Arc de Triomphe (the Arc was closed when I went to Paris in '03 so I was excited to actually see the view from the top).  After walking up several flights of spiral staircase we arrived at the top and even though it was not a sunny clear day we could still see quite a distance.
 

Realizing we had not eaten in a while we stopped at a little cafe on our way to the Eiffel tower and were pleasantly surprised by our waitress.. she translated the entire menu for us.  Once we had our fill of pommes frites and other french cafe goodies we were off to the Eiffel tower.  It was a very cold day in January so as we approached the Seine river the winds were quite strong but we continued on (no time to waste).  Unfortunately the top of the tower was closed but we still had the chance to visit the middle of the tower.  I wanted to stay until the sun set and the tower was lit and twinkling but it was simply too cold.  We descended the tower and as we were walking away the tower was lit up.  I love sparkly things so an entire sparkling tower was simply beautiful.

The next morning we went to breakfast at Ladurée (something I had been thinking about for a while) but Mr.K was officially ill and as soon as breakfast was over he went straight back to the hotel.  I was pretty much on my own for the day in Paris. 

I walked from the Ladurée on the Champs-Élysées all the way to the Louvre (meandering around small back streets browsing little shops and admiring the architecture).  I tried to take pics of everything to show Mr.K later on as he would not be able to see any more Parisian sites.

I hope you get a chance to visit Paris with the love of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment